On the search . . . .

For many years now I've been searching my past in an endeavor to unfold the tales of my family. I've traveled (via the internet) to England, Denmark, Norway, Ohio, Nebraska, New Jersey, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. I've spent time personally visiting historic Boston and their wonderful cemeteries and, or course, visited my ancestors right here in California. My ancestors have touched the world in many places... and I hope to enjoy some of their experiences. I want you to join me as I travel through my past... and uncover their stories..



Sunday, June 3, 2012

An Amazing Treasure I Found Tucked Away . . .

As I was going through my Mother's things, after her death, I found tucked away, an envelope with her home address hand written on it.  It struck me because we seldom find hand written anything any more.  It was addressed at an old address of her's, where she lived when she was in her 20's.  The envelope was a bit wrinkled which I felt added character.   Here was a part of my Mom's past.  This letter had been air mailed to her.  I opened the envelope and carefully pulled out the letter that was placed inside.  As I read it, I got a sense it was from an old friend. As I continued reading I found it was from a gentleman that was apologizing to my Mother for his behavior.  The gentleman goes on to explain that his Mother had told him she knew my Mother was seeing another man. He goes on to let my Mother know that he will let her be and for her to enjoy this other man's company. The letter appeared sweet and had a sense of innocence about it.  This letter was written by a young man who was in the Army and stationed in Korea.  He talks a bit about things he's seen.  This letter was dated July 6, 1946.  The other man that my Mother was seeing was my Father.  :)   I'm so glad I found this letter and was able to get a peek into my Mom's past.. at a time when her and my Dad had just begun dating.  My Mom and Dad married in August of 1950.  So through this letter I've learned that they dated three years before marriage.   What a fantastic find.  Thanks Mom for saving this letter for so long.   Well, I took this letter one step further.  I researched the name of the writer of this letter and found he was still alive and not far from me.  I did the unthinkable.  Hee Hee .  Through the use of the internet I was able to find this man's phone number.  I kept hesitating but then decided to call him.  If he were alive, he would be in his 80's. I made the call and unbelievably I was able to speak to him!  I tried to explain who I was, and that I found a letter he had written to my Mother over 60 years ago.  He chuckled when I explained who I was.  He didn't recall my Mother.  I read the letter to him, hoping to jog his memory but it didn't.  He did say it sounded like a letter he would write. He was amazed that my Mother had kept this letter for so long.  We talked about how he must have been important to her.  I asked if he wanted a copy of the letter and he shared that he would.  It was such a wonderful experience to reach out and find someone that once was part of my Mother's life when she was so young.   It was a wonderful find.  Thank you Mom! 

Warm Regards,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment