On the search . . . .

For many years now I've been searching my past in an endeavor to unfold the tales of my family. I've traveled (via the internet) to England, Denmark, Norway, Ohio, Nebraska, New Jersey, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. I've spent time personally visiting historic Boston and their wonderful cemeteries and, or course, visited my ancestors right here in California. My ancestors have touched the world in many places... and I hope to enjoy some of their experiences. I want you to join me as I travel through my past... and uncover their stories..



Friday, January 17, 2014

Friday Find ~ One Uncle, Three distinctly different names! Lesson on lost relatives

     I've known for many years that my Danish family immigrated to
the United States in 1891.  A few years ago I began searching to see if I could find them on manifest records.  I was curious if they all came together or made separate trips.    I was interested in my Great Grandparents, Andreas and Anna Rasmussen but today I was more interested in "Uncle Frank".  The family was never clear, exactly, on the relationship of "Uncle Frank Monsen". I recall being told he was my great grandmother's (Anna Monsen) brother. But I can't find him in any Danish census or church records. I have found him here in U.S. Census's but I am more interested in his life prior to arriving in the U.S.  So I was determined again to see what I could find.  
     After some hours of searching I found and looked closely at his "Declaration of Intention".  What I saw was quite interesting. First the only reason I know this is him is because of the address he has listed.  I know this is our family address in Los Angeles.  By deduction of other family members and verifying the birth date listed this was "Uncle Frank".  But the name listed was very different.   It's states his name as "Moyens Marius Magnusen".  Not close at all to "Frank Monsen".  This document also listed his date of arrival and the name of the ship he traveled on, so I began searching immigration passenger lists. But then I reviewed the Declaration document again and it clearly states he came through immigration with the name of "Mayeno Mayunson". What?  Why?  Another very different name.    So I go back to searching passenger lists on the British Prince that he traveled on. After scanning and scanning I find him.  There is "Mayeno Mayunson" on the list.   I look at other names on the manifest and can't locate any other family members.  However, if they are traveling under a different name they may be there and I just don't know it.   So as I read "Mayeno Mayuson's" information it shows he's only 10 years old and has one (1) piece of luggage.   I wonder to myself how he can travel to a new country, on a huge immigration ship, all alone.   I see his destination is listed as Independence, OH which coincides with where our family first settled upon arrival.
You can see his name here right below the center division black line.  It was an amazing find for me. I can't determine what that word is in the "calling" column.  It looks like "boy" but I'm not sure.  I did more searching and also found an advertisement for these immigration journeys. I find the description of the voyage very fascinating.
When searching for your relatives be very careful.  Don't give up.   Look very closely at all the documents.  See if you can discover a secondary or even third name that your relative may have gone by.  

So "Uncle Frank", or "Uncle Moyens"... no "Uncle Mayeno".. ugh..  he's my Uncle Frank who I remember well.   As we all know about hindsight... if I only knew to ask him about his journey here, why did different names.  I know Frank is a more Americanized name but why the second variation. I never realized he was only ten.  I'm still determined to find more information on him in the Danish records although now I know he only lived in Denmark for ten years there won't be much.   My thoughts are with you today Uncle Frank.

Warm regards, 

   

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a story! And what a shame that you can't get just 10 minutes to talk to him about this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, yes if I just had 10 minutes. That made me think. If we each had just 10 minutes for each of our ancestors, what would we ask?

    ReplyDelete