On the search . . . .

For many years now I've been searching my past in an endeavor to unfold the tales of my family. I've traveled (via the internet) to England, Denmark, Norway, Ohio, Nebraska, New Jersey, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. I've spent time personally visiting historic Boston and their wonderful cemeteries and, or course, visited my ancestors right here in California. My ancestors have touched the world in many places... and I hope to enjoy some of their experiences. I want you to join me as I travel through my past... and uncover their stories..



Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday ~ Elsie DeWinter Mulder

 
Here are two photos of the tombstone for Elsje DeWinter Mulder - my 2nd Great Grandmother.  The left one was found in an old book. I might have never known where she was buried if not for this photo. I had to take a magnifying glass to read the writing.  I'm not clear when this photo was taken.

The photo on the right is of the same tombstone and was taken about 2005.  The stone is very worn and absolutely not readable. It's hard to believe how much they disintegrate over time.  Thank goodness I have the first photo of Elsje's stone.


Elsje DeWinter Mulder

Elsje came from a high class family in Holland. She married Hans Mulder who was a baker. They had three children - Reinardus Mulder (b.1862), Laura G. Mulder (b.1877) and Margaret L. Mulder (b.1883).

Elsje's oldest child Reinardus was the first to immigrate to the United States when he was 20 years old. He settled in Lincoln, Nebraska.

When Elsje's husband, Hans, died in 1887 she brought her remaining two children, Laura and Margaret, to the United States as well. They arrived in the United States on April 25, 1887 after travelling on the Zaandam out of Amsterdam. They settled in Lincoln, Nebraska.




Warm Regards,
  

No comments:

Post a Comment